Forgot your password?
typodupeerror
Input Devices Microsoft Games Idle

Fighting With Your Fingers — A Canceled Indie Game Concept For Natal 45

Posted by Soulskill
from the at-least-they're-thinking dept.
ChiefMonkeyGrinder writes "Though Microsoft's Project Natal won't be released until later this year, indie studio Arkedo has already revealed a canceled project for the peripheral. Called 2 Finger Heroes, it was to be a beat 'em up where your fingers do the fighting. 'Characters would be controlled by moving your fingers, while special moves could be done by incorporating your whole hand. The environment could even be affected by moving your arms folded at your chest.' On why it was canceled, one of the developers said, 'One of the design flaws of this, apart from the fact that it demanded some very precise pattern recognition from the Natal system, is that it would have been HELL to localize. Yup, what can be understood as the victory sign in France could be a terrible insult in the UK, for instance. And we are not even talking about Italian. Oh, the possibilities...'"
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.

Fighting With Your Fingers — A Canceled Indie Game Concept For Natal

Comments Filter:
  • by ickleberry (864871) <web@pineapple.vg> on Saturday January 23, 2010 @01:07AM (#30867200) Homepage
    No wonder it was canceled, it sounds way too much like the title of a movie I could only download from The Pirate Bay after logging in.
  • by Anonymous Coward on Saturday January 23, 2010 @06:00AM (#30868246)

    Devs: Okay we have this game concept for Natal where you wiggle your fingers around and control the game. Natal claims its that precise so there will be no problem right?

    MS: Hahah we say a lot of crazy shit don't we? Now about this game, would it change the mechanics much if instead of wiggling fingers players had to stand in clear view of the camera and wave their arms in exaggerated flailing motions?

    Devs: Erm it might

    MS: Well maybe the player could sit on the couch and make retarded steering wheel motions.

    Devs: Okay...

    MS: And you say this is a fighting game? How critical is responsiveness and precision?

    Devs: Very, it's a fighting game.

    MS: We got you covered. We've got latency down to 250ms. Of players have to make spastic flailing actions which adds to that time but that's not our fault is it? And precision is a very respectable 80%. The other 20% of the time it ignores you or does some other action. Just map 4 or 5 motions onto generic fighting moves and you'll be fine.

    Devs: Perhaps we'll forget the whole idea.

    MS: Well if you do go ahead, here's a hand sign for you - Gangsta!

  • What?! (Score:2, Funny)

    by Burpmaster (598437) on Saturday January 23, 2010 @04:52PM (#30872422)

    what can be understood as the victory sign in France...

    France has a sign for victory?!

I cannot draw a cart, nor eat dried oats; If it be man's work I will do it.

Working...